• Search OPAC


Recommended Books List by Students (Junior TA)
(in Japanese)

History and Rules

HOME>History

Rules [in Japanese]

History

There are two points of origin for the University of Tokyo Faculty of Engineering: the Imperial College of Engineering (Koubu daigakkou ) and the University of Tokyo Department of Science (Technology), as they were known in the early Meiji era.

The engineering library known as Shobou of the Imperial College of Engineering and the Library of Law, Science, and Literature of the Department of Science were both among the most extensive collections in Japan.

The two faculties merged in 1886 to form the Imperial University of Tokyo College of Engineering. (Teikoku daigaku kouka daigaku) The branch library known as Shobou of the College of Engineering also existed until 1893, when it was incorporated into the University Library itself.

As its collections continued to grow thereafter, the College of Engineering (renamed the Faculty of Engineering in 1919) succeeded in creating new department libraries, and through them came to offer a variety of services.

In April 2006, the department libraries were gathered into one organization with the creation of the Libraries for Engineering and Information Science & Technology. With the previously existing department libraries maintained as building libraries while being drawn together in a single organization, the libraries strive to provide even more exceptional service to students and faculty.

Along with the most current collections in Engineering and Information Science and Technology, the library reflects the Faculty of Engineering's longstanding tradition with dissertations and collections of foreign professors from the early Meiji Era, writings of professors who travelled abroad, picture maps from the Edo period, and other such precious documents.